Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Down and Out Beauty: In My Kit

I want to share with you some of my kit favorites. These are products I come back to time and time again and always deliver.
Bioelements Moisture x10
This is hands down my favorite serum. It covers the widest range of skin types and I use it on almost all of my makeup clients. Its based with hyaluronic acid, a water loving acid that binds 1,000 times its own weight in water. This super hydrating serum can rapidly change the appearance of your skin by smoothing fine lines and helping your makeup go on like a dream.

Clarins Beauty Flash Balm
I use this cream primarily as a foundation primer because its like makeup super glue. It temporarily tightens pores and the contours of the face and gives stressed skin a glow. Its perfect for pre bridal makeup or just when you've not had enough sleep and its showing on your face.
MAC Blushes
For me, MAC blushes are a no brainer. The range of colors, blendability, and pigmentation are brilliant. Don't be frightened by how bright they look in the pan because they are super pigmented you only need to lay your brush in the product before applying. This super pigmentation makes most colors suitable for the palest porcelain to the deepest ebony skin tones. My personal favs are Fleur Power, a satin bright pinky coral. Harmony, a matte beige brown, perfect for contouring the cheeks or just having something simple on the cheeks to keep the focus on the eyes or lips. Dollymix, a slightly shimmery candy pink, that's perfect on all skin tones.

Sleek Eyeshadow Palettes
Sleek Makeup is a well known brand from the UK and have recently made their products available online in the U.S. They pride themselves on making affordable makeup for all skin tones and putting a primary focus on those under represented by most beauty brands. The eyeshadow palettes come in eight different shade groups ranging from all neutral to acid brights all with twelve colors in each palette. These shadows are so pigmented and the color payoff is amazing! I would recommend using a primer before the shadow because there can be a little fall out when applying the color. Oh and did I mention that these palettes are only $10! My fav two would be the Bad Girl palette, perfect for a grungy smokey eye, and the Oh So Natural palette, great for Spring and Summer brides.
Urban Decay All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray
I often think I live in the hottest place on earth during the summer. Even with dry skin my makeup still melts off my face if I spend any significant time outdoors. I started using All Nighter on brides last summer and was really pleased with the longevity it gave to their makeup. It feels really cool on the skin, blocks oil and sweat from breaking down foundation and blush and takes the powdery edge off foundation so your skin looks more natural.

Real Techniques Brushes
I really love these taklon fiber brushes. They are so easy to clean, they don't shed, and work perfectly with cream products. Those of you with sensitive skin will know that makeup brushes made from natural hair can sometimes scratch your face and feel quite itchy. Taklon fiber brushes would make a good alternative for those of us with sensitive skin or who prefer synthetic materials. Real Techniques brushes are well made and very affordable. My fave is the stippling brush. Its great for buffing foundation until it looks completely flawless, like a second skin.

These are my well tested, go-to faves but I'd love to know what are your go-to products that you consistently repurchase? Happy Spring everybody!

 -Layne

Layne is a licensed aesthetician and makeup artist working at Urban Sanctuary in Athens, GA. She writes the makeup and beauty column Down and Out Beauty. Click here to read her previous posts.

6 comments:

Gabbi said...

Going to definitely try the Urban Decay spray and I've been looking for a good eyeshadow palette. Thank you for the shares! ♥

Claire Kiefer said...

I want to buy all of these things immediately, especially the All Nighter. Sounds brilliant!

drollgirl said...

i haven't tried any of these! i'd love to try the eyeshadow and the all nighter!

Emanuella Florencio said...

Thanks for sharing the tips! Love the Clarins products, I´m going to test the Flash Balm. How do you clean you makeup brushes?

Layne said...

I personally clean my eye makeup brushes after every use. Just because I rarely ever wear the same look twice. My face brushes I clean every few days with MAC brush cleaner. I prefer brush cleaner that you don't have to wet your brushes, just dip them in the cleaner and then wipe onto a towel. That keeps your brushes from loosing hairs and is super easy.

Emanuella Florencio said...

Thanks Layne, I always wanted to ask a professional about that. Wish you a nice week!;-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Pin It button on image hover